Thursday, September 19, 2013

Expectations & Observations: Day 1

Right as I got on the big yellow school bus parked in front of Robert's Hall, I felt the butterflies. Remember the kind you got on your first day of school? You weren't really scared. It was more an apprehension of the unknown, an excitement for what was next. Dr. JH kept our minds occupied with an ISpy game and the next thing I knew we were in front of District C...

It wasn't quite what I had envisioned...
A large, old building. 
Atop a steep, grassy hill. 
Located on a large, busy main street. 
In the center of a very small city.

Instead...
 It was in a much more congested area
on a narrow side street, 
located within a residential neighborhood
There was grass, 
although much less then I expected, 
and there was a beautiful old tree that shaded a large span of the lawn. 
A nature mural
probably painted by an District C student, 
decorated the front stairs leading to the building's main entrance. 
As a self-professed history geek, 
I immediately noticed the old architecture of the building. 
As we entered the front doors my eyes were drawn to an old war plaque 
and I felt the building's history.

Upon meeting the staff, particularly Principal J, it was evident that good things were happening at District C...

"The positive energy and genuine enthusiasm of the faculty 
was infectious."

One of the undertakings at District C that really sparked my interest was the Expanded Learning Opportunities (ELO) Initiative. The ELO Initiative at District C...


"Provides opportunities for students to get academic credit 
for student-centered, hands-on, rigorous learning 
in a real-world setting." 

Working with a mentoring teacher and other ELO community members, students are responsible for completing ongoing reflections and research in subjects chosen around each ELO students' particular interests and passions. Students are also required to create a final research project and to demonstrate their learning at a final presentation. Principal J proudly told us that there have been over 250 students in the ELO program within the last two years.




Even having only visited District C once, I am already extremely excited for the experiences awaiting myself and my classmates this semester. I am overwhelmingly grateful to have the opportunity to collaborate with the faculty and staff in the 2013 pilot year of the Innovation Lab.