Friday, September 20, 2013

Experiencing iWalkThrough

Before our first iWalkThrough at District C, I was completely unsure of what to expect. As Principal J explained the process to us, I sat across the table wondering what we would encounter during our tour. The WalkThroughs at District C are done weekly. Teachers are required to perform at least one WalkThrough a quarter, but they can volunteer to do as many as they would like. In fact, they are encouraged to do more because it allows the faculty to give each other advice and feedback.

WalkThroughs: "For Teachers, By Teachers."
-Principal J

I was fascinated to find out that the WalkThroughs are not only performed by the faculty and administration, but also by parents. The sense of community in this school is both comforting and overwhelming (in a good way, of course!) WalkThroughs are not unexpected, faculty and staff know what days they are being conducted and teachers are welcoming. They are proud to exhibit their effective teaching strategies and methods.

Principal J is an exemplary administrator. He explained to our group that he strives to be an instructional leader, keeping updated with the most innovated pedagogical practices and methods.

"I don't want to loose my teaching perspective."
-Principal J

He gives his faculty clear expectations of what he expects from them. As such, when he observes a struggling teacher while performing a WalkThrough, he leaves them comments and probing questions that allow the teacher to evaluate why their methods or practices may or may not be working.



As we began the WalkThrough I looked over the evaluation sheet. Some of the information was slightly confusing and I was slightly nervous and unsure if I would be able to gather accurate data during our short, three to five minute, evaluations. The first classroom my group observed was an AP Art History class taught by one of District C's "model teachers." Principal J explained that the evaluations performed at District C allow the administration to determine who the most effective teachers are. These "model teachers" can be observed by other faculty throughout the school year. As soon as we entered the classroom I could see why this particular teacher was used as a model. Although her class was by no means quiet, and even though students were working on different tasks, there was observable learning taking place. She eloquently ran her classroom in a way that made it flow with ease.

Our group was directed to leave the room and we continued our WalkThrough tour of District C. With each class that we observed, the data collection became easier. It was interesting to see different teaching strategies, some good, others adequate. I feel that viewing a variety of practices was a great learning experience. In each classroom I found myself picking out things that I liked and hoped to imitate in my own teaching practices and also things I didn't like or agree with, that I would avoid. Although I wish we had more time, the experience was amazing and I cannot wait for the next opportunity to perform the WalkThrough process!