Sunday, September 8, 2013

Introducing Me

Hhm...
Who am I?
I am who I am.
I surmise that best sums it up. Many people spend their lives mastering their multiple social masks, perfecting the art of fitting into a myriad of social norms. I for some reason have never quite got the hang of it. And thus I have surrendered the need to be normal and have ascertained that my one mask is unremovable and therefore must suffice.
And hence, I am who I am...


I am a long-term student. I have been attending college steadily since 2004, receiving my associates degree in General Education from CCRI in Spring 2010. I'm proud to say that I graduated with High Honors. The amount of personal growth that has accompanied my education continues to amaze me. I began attending classes at RIC Spring 2011 as a History Major with the goal of getting into the Feinstein Education Program for Secondary Education. During my three years at RIC I have been steadily taking classes, oscillating between full and part time depending on what best fits with my personal obligations and until recently, a full time work schedule.


As for teaching, there is no one answer to why I want to be a teacher. In fact, it developed into my chosen profession during my first several years of floating through college without a clear path or destination. Not because I didn't want one but because when it comes to long term goals I am ultimately (and shamefully) indecisive.

However...
I met a group of kids (pre-teens) at a campground where I was a seasonal member. Being the youngest adult (and a true kid at heart) I became the unofficial camp counselor. My experience with these extraordinary kids solidified my decision.

  "I wanted to teach."

I wanted to inspire young minds and make learning a fun experience. I wanted to be a combination of all my favorite teachers, those whose teaching methods have assisted me in becoming a better student.

"I want to provide my students with the supports and opportunity to succeed, not just in the classroom, but in life."

I have always wanted to leave behind something, make a difference, however small, in the life of other people. I truly hope I will achieve this as a teacher.